- Goal 2: Achieve universal primary education
- Goal 3: Promote gender equality and empower women
UNICEF has identified 25 priority countries to reduce the number of girls currently out of school. The 25 countries are Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Burkina Faso, Central African Republic, Chad, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Guinea, India, Malawi, Mali, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Sudan, Tanzania, Turkey, Yemen and Zambia.
UNICEF priority countries for girls' education
The countries, highlighted in the map above, were selected if they met the following criteria:
- female primary school net enrollment rate below 70%,
- gender gap in primary education above 10%,
- more than 1 million girls out of school,
- included in the Education for All Fast Track Initiative of the World Bank,
- affected by crises like HIV/AIDS and military conflict.
Friedrich Huebler, 24 October 2005, Creative Commons License